At Cosmetic Dermatology Centre we believe that treating the skin at a young age maintains the youthfulness of the skin and avoids the need for more invasive treatment later on.
SkinPen® is a precise, micromechanical skin remodeling device that initiates collagen induction to rejuvenate the skin, improve fine lines and wrinkles and improve the overall skin appearance. It is also the only FDA-approved micro-needling device currently on the market!
Who is an ideal candidate?
Patients who wish to start slowing down the ageing process and do not have primarily vascular skin conditions, such as redness, Rosacea or broken capillaries. Intense pulsed light (Photofacial) or Pulsed-dye vascular laser will serve these patients better. If you have deep resting lines and wrinkles, Fraxel will be a more suitable treatment option.
Avoid this treatment if
- You have open wounds, sores or irritated skin.
- You are being treated for acne with topical or oral medication, such as Roaccutane.
- Use photosensitizing medication, such as St. John’s Wort, antibiotics, antidepressants, thyroid replacement therapy, etc.
- You have an allergy to stainless steel or anesthetics.
- Have a hemorrhagic (bleeding) disorder or take anti-coagulation medication, such as Ecotrin or Warfarin.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You are a diabetic, take immunosuppressive medication or have wound-healing deficiencies (caution needs to be taken as healing of the skin is compromised).
How many sessions are needed?
SkinPen® is an ideal treatment option to prolong the effects of laser treatments or to prepare the skin for laser treatments. Younger patients transitioning from epidermal resurfacing treatments to laser find the SkinPen® as the ideal step-up treatment.
Ideally treatments are spread 2-4 weeks apart. A series of SkinPen® procedures is recommended, with the ideal number of sessions depending on skin condition, whether it is combined with other laser therapies and preferred outcome. Your skin therapist will be able to direct you optimally after your consultation.
What outcome can be expected?
Your skin should feel plumper, more hydrated and youthful, while still looking natural.
Premature ageing and fine lines are improved, the skin feels stronger and more resilient.
Often patients see improvement in their pigmentation too.
To book your SkinPen® consultation, please contact us on 021 552 7220