Do you find that when you are overwhelmed with emotions of stress, anxiety or embarrassment, your whole face flushes involuntary? Or even after having a nice glass of your favourite wine you feel the heat building up colouring your skin red?
You might suffer from the skin condition, called Rosacea.
Rosacea is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition characterized by telangiectasia (small inflamed blood vessels), erythema (persistent redness), flushing and blushing of the facial skin. It commonly affects more fair-skinned/ light-haired individuals.
The exact cause is unknown but there are a number of factors that can trigger the above mentioned symptoms:
- extreme temperature
- sunlight, humidity, or wind
- stress, anxiety, anger, embarrassment
- vigorous exercise
- hot baths or saunas
- hot foods and beverages
- spicy food
Treatment may involve a combination of prescribed topical medications, oral medication as well as laser treatments to help relief and reduce symptoms. These include:
- Topical medications: Helps to reduce inflammation and redness and can be used in combination with some oral medications. (Skinoren or Rosex gel)
- Oral antibiotics: Oral antibiotics tend to give faster results than topical ones and are prescribed for their anti-inflammatory properties. (Tetralysal / Erythromycin)
- Roaccutane /Accutane (Isotretinoin): This oral medication is sometimes used for severe cases of inflammatory rosacea if other treatments have not succeeded.The main function of Isotretinoin is that inhibits the production of oil by the sebaceous glands.
For patients with visible blood vessels (telangiectasia) and persistent redness, laser treatments like intense pulsed light or pulse dye laser, can be used to shrink them as well as strengthen the skin as it stimulates collagen production.These treatments must be done as part of a maintenance program in order to keep the rosacea from flaring up. Laser treatment can sometimes cause bruising, swelling and tenderness.
Rosacea is not a life-threatening condition, but the effect it has on one’s appearance often leaves you feeling embarrassed, frustrated, anxious, and lacking in self-confidence.
Contact Cosmetic Dermatology Centre to find the best treatment options available to you and wave farewell to Snow whites rosy cheeks.
By: Maryke Myburgh